Specification Templates allow you to easily create your own product specifications that you can re-use within multiple Projects.
Typically this feature is used to add a specification for a product or system that is not currently included in the Smartspec specification database, though it can also be used as a tool to better manage and use your own generic specifications.
It takes just a few minutes to add a Specification Template following these simple steps:
- Go to Templates > Specification Templates then click the New Specification Template button.
- Enter the Specification Name and select the relevant Trade Section.
- You can then add the clauses and clause options to the Specification Template.
Note: This is done clause-by-clause so Smartspec can automatically number your clauses in the exported Project Specification. Your Specification Template will also look consistent with the other specifications in Smartspec.
You can either type the text or copy/paste from a PDF or Word file. Note: if you are pasting text into a clause - please always use the Paste as Plain Text or Paste from Word functionality to strip away all unwanted formatting.
With the text editor you can make text bold, italic, underscore, strikethrough, add links, numbered and bulleted lists, special characters, and tables (for in-line scheduling).
Once you have finished creating a Specification Template you can add it to a Project:
- Project Dashboard > Project Actions > Add Specification.
- Type 'template' in search and hit enter.
- Check the tickbox next to your spec, then click the ADD SPECIFICATION(S) button.